Each week, the editor of Planet Analog finds items of interest and features and puts them into two sections, entitled “Also of Interest” and “Elementals”. Each cites items from publications outside the Planet Analog and EETimes portfolios.
It's an extension of our belief that engineers are interested in on-going tutorial on obviously relevant topics, as well as the serendipity of exploring topics which are not directly related to their jobs, but which will broaden their knowledge and sometimes spurs innovative and creative approaches. The first box highlights a few items of general interest to the engineer, while the second highlights some basic and tutorial electronic-engineering material.
Among the publications we check are IEEE Spectrum , Machine Design , Design News , Laser Focus World , EDN , Electronic Design , NASA Tech Briefs , and Physics Today , among others.
Consider these items as “online-only” extras, and worth a look! (Please note: there are also links to the previous weeks' editions, at the bottom).
Also of Interest:
- Leakproof glued joints in plastic assemblies are a cinch if the surfaces are clean:
” Secrets of Bond Strength,”
Machine Design , July 10, 2008
- Low-power wireless provides a foundation for better training:
“Wireless Power Meters Help Olympic Athletes,”
Design News , July 10, 2008
- Laser-based particle accelerators are the next challenge for laser technology:
“Building a Pocket-Size Electron Accelerator,”
Photonics Spectra , July 2008
- Detecting the exceedingly small Doppler shifts from parent stars and orbiting planets in other solar systems will require extremely sensitive instruments.:
“Ultrafast lasers: Frequency combs refine Doppler search for distant planets,”
Laser Focus World , July 2008, Year
- With this approach, would not be necessary to make holes in walls for wires:
“Using Piezoelectric Devices To Transmit Power Through Walls,”
NASA Tech Briefs , June 2008
- A little of the old, a little of the new—here's a quick brushup on amplifier lore:
“Back To Amp Camp,”
Electronic Design , June 26, 2008
- Novel planar microstrip lines can be used to assemble bandpass filters with wideband response at C-band frequencies, achieving coupling through the use of open-ended stubs:
“Coupled Stubs Support Microstrip Bandbass Filter,”
Microwaves & RF , June 2008
- The key parameters for the right ADC are based not only on performance, but cost and other tangible and intangible aspects of converters:
“Understanding state of the art in ADCs,”
RF Design , May 2008
- Analyze the levels of 2nd and 3rd order distortion products and their effects on a direct conversion I/Q receiver in a WCDMA application:
“IP2 and IP3 Design Considerations for a Direct Conversion I/Q Receiver,”
High Frequency Electronics , June 2008