The First Large-Scale Wi-Fi Deployment Leveraging CloudCommand's Unique, Patented Security Makes Classroom Connectivity and Network Management a Reality for New Hampshire Schools
TORONTO and PALO ALTO, Calif., Sept. 30, 2011
TORONTO and PALO ALTO, Calif. ,Sept. 30, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Amer Networks, a manufacturer and global distributor of networking, storage and security products, and PowerCloud™ Systems, the leading software platform provider for cloud-managed networking services, today announce that the Laconia School District in Laconia, New Hampshire , has upgraded its wireless network to Amer's cloud-managed 802.11n wireless solution powered by CloudCommand™.
The new network delivers secure Wi-Fi to Laconia 's entire public-school system and signals the district's commitment to delivering a 21st century learning environment to its 2,000 students. The installation additionally demonstrates how Amer's solution – which combines enterprise-type security and management features with unprecedented affordability – continues to set the standard for powerful, cost-efficient Wi-Fi in the K-12 market.
- Laconia School District has completed a 76-unit installation of Amer's cloud-managed Wi-Fi, the WAP223NC access point, into the district's six schools and superintendent building. It supports up to 2,500 staff, students and visitors who can access the Internet and private intranet from classrooms, libraries, cafeterias, gymnasiums, preschool and adult learning centers, daycare facilities and administrative offices.
- The WAP223NC provides extensive coverage, automatic configuration, business-grade features, remote-management capability, multi-site roaming and hotspot functionality. It is the only Wi-Fi access point designed specifically for the education market and is powered by CloudCommand, a networking platform developed by PowerCloud Systems that radically reduces customers' total cost of ownership.
- Laconia 's IT administrators apply the network's highest security setting – called Individual Device Authentication (IDA) – to restrict connectivity to authorized mobile devices. The patented IDA offers two-factor security and enables administrators to individually identify and secure hundreds of devices.
- The district deployed each of Amer's self-configuring access points in minutes, making setup a simple and quick process which a single IT administrator accomplished in a matter of hours instead of days or weeks.
- Once the network went live, teachers immediately reported the positive impact it had on classroom instruction, particularly in the preschool and elementary schools, where usage is highest. In the elementary schools, 72 laptops travel daily between classrooms on computer carts and require reliable Wi-Fi at all times. Most elementary students have frequent access to iPads and netbooks.
- Amer's network replaces a collection of independent access points, including Apple's AirPort Extreme, Cisco 4410 access points and various Linksys models. The old infrastructure failed to meet the district's security and monitoring requirements and was unable to keep pace with the proliferation of wireless devices accessing them.
- Amer's solution was selected over competitive offerings from Aruba and Aerohive due to its combination of business-grade management features and unbeatable pricing.
- The network provides visitor hotspot functionality, which Laconia leverages to support events such as evening lectures, conferences, adult education classes and sports activities. An innovative “front desk” interface allows assistant administrators to manually adjust a user's connectivity privileges without disrupting the network.
- Remote-management functionality through the cloud enables three IT administrators to manage the network from anywhere. In real time, they track network usage, troubleshoot problems and monitor connected devices by location and activity levels.
Jeff Twombly , Laconia School District IT director:
“Amer's cloud-based solution amazed us with how simple and fast it was to deploy and make operational. It provides everything a mid-sized school district needs and more – from self-configuring setup to real-time alerts and convenient remote management. The Amer solution exceeds our requirements and costs less than half of comparable solutions. It's the ideal solution for school-based Wi-Fi.”
Wai Lee , CEO of Amer Networks:
“The Laconia School District leads the way when it comes to preparing students for long-term success. By installing the right technology infrastructure in its schools, it has enhanced teacher instruction and improved the overall learning environment. We specifically designed our cloud-managed Wi-Fi solution for districts like Laconia , and we're thrilled with their success.”
About Amer Networks
Amer is a manufacturer and global distributor of networking, storage and security products. Since its founding in 1997 in the education enterprise sector, it has earned the reputation as a provider of reliable hardware backed by the most comprehensive support and customer-appropriate product warranties on the market. Through it growing reseller network, Amer is expanding into the SOHO/SME market with a growing line of innovative, value-laden products that enhance productivity and improve efficiency – anywhere and everywhere that people connect. For more information, visit www.amer.com.
About PowerCloud Systems, Inc.
PowerCloud Systems is the leading online software platform provider for enabling Networking as a Service (NaaS). Its CloudCommand technology provides OEMs and service providers with the quickest, most powerful and cost effective path for adding comprehensive cloud capabilities to their new and existing networking equipment. Based in Palo Alto, Calif. , PowerCloud Systems is a spin-out from PARC that is funded by PARC, Walden Venture Capital and Javelin Venture Partners. For more information, visit www.powercloudsystems.com.
For more information, contact
Brian D. Johnson , PowerCloud Systems, Inc.
SOURCE PowerCloud Systems