Texas Instruments Incorporated has unveiled the new MSP430F55xx microcontroller (MCU) family with embedded full-speed USB (12 Mbps) to address the demands of designers that are seeking smart embedded processing solutions that bring benefits to their applications such as longer battery life, portability and versatility.
The new F55xx family claims to offer the world's leading ultra-low power consumption combined with high-performance analog and other smart integrated peripherals. Helping cut the power cord, the F55xx MCUs are well-suited for cost-sensitive applications including portable measurement for medical, industrial, and health and fitness, as well as consumer electronics and a broad range of other applications.
Key features and benefits of the MSP430F55xx include:
- Five low-power modes include the industry's lowest power consumption in active mode at 200 uA/MHz and standby mode at 2.5 uA with wake-up from standby mode in less than 5 microseconds for extended battery life
- Expanded memory range covering 8 KB to 128 KB flash offers easy migration path
- High performance analog including 10-bit or 12-bit ADC options that consume less than 200 uA during operation, and an ultra-low power sub-microamp comparator designed for wide application usage
- Integrated intelligent peripherals including hardware multiplier, four 16-bit timers, and up to four interfaces of serial communication including UART, SPI, and I2C
- Various package options with small footprint, including 48-pin (QFP, QFN), 64-pin (QFN), 80-pin (QFP, BGA)
- Fully integrated LDO powered directly from the 5 V bus power saves cost and board space
- Broad USB portfolio with more than 35 device options offers enhanced peripheral and analog integration, increased memory and package options, and several low-cost alternatives from the sub-$1 range
- Jump-starting USB development, TI provides all the necessary tools to get projects up and running quickly regardless of a developers' USB experience. TI offers customers a free Vendor ID and Product ID (VID/PID) sharing program, saving time and money. TI's easy-to-use MSP430 Code Composer Essentials tool chain is included along with all the required hardware.
Availability and pricing
F55xx MCUs are priced from sub-$1 in large volumes. All are instruction set compatible with the entire MSP430 platform. The MSP430F552x sample kit is available now and includes two 80-pin QFN sample devices, TS430PN80USB target board and supporting documents and software to get started. The MSP430F552x MCUs are sampling today with production volumes as early as November 2009. The device is fully compatible with the $149 MSP-FET430U80USB and $99 MSP-FET430UIF flash emulation tools.