LAS VEGAS , Jan. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — 2010 International CES — Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced its next generation DOCSIS®/Euro-DOCSIS™ 3.0 cable modem system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution. Focused on data and voice modem applications, the new single-chip Broadcom® BCM3382 solution improves RF performance with its second generation of integrated tuners while also implementing advanced power management functionality. These improvements enable manufacturers to develop high performance DOCSIS 3.0 products for voice and data applications in a cost effective design.
Cable service providers are using DOCSIS 3.0 products to manage faster line speeds for delivering competitive high-speed data, voice and IP video services. New services supported by the increased bandwidth include IPTV, secure virtual private networks (VPNs) for telecommuters, full-featured IP telephony, video conferencing, local web hosting, and peer-to-peer networking applications such as music downloading and file sharing.
- As consumer demand increases for advanced services in the home, such as IP video, cable operators require increased bandwidth to support faster speeds that result in more value-added services.
- The highly integrated BCM3382 reduces box size, power requirements and overall bill-of-materials (BOM) cost, while increasing performance by adding packet processing ability and enabling over 500 kpps (kilo packets per second) of total throughput.
- Leveraging Broadcom's field proven and successful family of DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem silicon solutions, the highly integrated BCM3382 SoC solution features:
- Bonding support for up to eight simultaneous DOCSIS channels delivering twice the speed of other DOCSIS 3.0 solutions at a lower system cost while extending the useable life of cable modems.
- A second generation integrated wideband tuner, with an extended bandwidth of 96MHz.
- IP video hardware support that allows cable providers to deploy low cost IP video to PCs and IP set-top boxes (IP STBs) without costly changes to the existing infrastructure.
- A powerful processing architecture that enables line speed data rates and the ability to maximize the total system performance of a DOCSIS or EuroDOCSIS 3.0 system.
- Integrated dynamic power management controllers that provide a very efficient power management system capable of managing and shutting down unused system components in real-time.
- An integrated voice subsystem, including an audio processing module, high voltage generator and battery management unit, that enables the lowest BOM cost for eMTA (embedded multimedia terminal adapter) applications.
- The BCM3382 cable modem SoC solution is based on Broadcom's existing DOCSIS software platform, architecture and real time operating system (RTOS) with current DOCSIS 3.0 and 2.0 products deployed in tens of millions of DOCSIS-based solutions to date. In fact, a single software image can be utilized on both the BCM3382 and the first generation BCM3380 to enable operators to seamlessly transition to the latest generation product. Broadcom's DOCSIS 3.0 software includes the following functionality:
- Fully compliant with the DOCSIS 3.0/2.0/1.x specification
- Adds support for Broadcom's BroadVoice® family of voice codecs, the existing CablexChange® voice software suite and CableMedea™ gateway software.
- Broadcom's BCM3382 is now sampling to early access customers. Complete reference designs are available that provide both certification and production-ready hardware and software for turnkey solutions. Pricing is available upon request.
Jay Kirchoff , Senior Director of Product Marketing, Cable Broadband line of business
“Leveraging our high performance and cost-optimized DOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS 3.0 product family, the Broadcom BCM3382 reduces power requirements and overall costs further enabling mass deployments of DOCSIS 3.0 data modems and eMTAs.”
Subscribe to RSS Feed: Broadcom Broadband Communications Group
Other Supporting Resources:
BCM3382 Product Information: http://tinyurl.com/y95fudy
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom is one of the world's largest fabless semiconductor companies, with 2008 revenue of $4.66 billion , and holds over 3,650 U.S. and over 1,450 foreign patents, more than 7,750 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. , and has offices and research facilities in North America , Asia and Europe . Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as “anticipates,” “expects,” “intends,” “plans,” “predicts,” “believes,” “seeks,” “estimates,” “may,” “will,” “should,” “would,” “could,” “potential,” “continue,” “ongoing,” similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the ability of the BCM3382 chipset to enable cable operators to cost effectively upgrade their headend equipment, the plans of top suppliers of DOCSIS 3.0 certified modems to use our BCM3382 solution, and the ability of cable operators to deliver broadband services at lower cost while enabling high density equipment designs using the BCM3382 solution. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with the BCM3382 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem SoC solution, but are not limited to:
- General economic and political conditions and specific conditions in the markets we address, including the volatility in the technology sector and semiconductor industry,
- The rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom's technologies and products in the markets;
- Delays in the adoption and acceptance of industry standards in those markets;
- Competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products;
- The timing of customer-industry qualification and certification of our products and the risks of non-qualification or non-certification;
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q42009.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom , the pulse logo, Connecting everything , the Connecting everything logo, BroadVoice , CablexChange and CableMedea™ are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States , certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Senior Communications Specialist
T. Peter Andrew
Vice President, Corporate Communications
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband