COLOGNE, Germany , May 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — ANGA Cable 2010 — Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced highly integrated whole-home connected cable platforms that address European requirements for web-based software applications, connectivity, energy efficiency and security support.
The cable platforms will be showcased at this week's ANGA Cable 2010 show in Broadcom's connected home pavilion and include the Broadcom® BCM7420-based MoCA® 1.1 video media server (VMS) gateway system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution, the Broadcom BCM7408-based MoCA 1.1 IP client set-top box (STB) SoC solution and the Broadcom BCM3380-based 16-channel DOCSIS®/EuroDOCSIS™ 3.0 cable modem/eMTA (embedded multimedia terminal adapter) SoC solution. These cable platforms enable the deployment of a whole-home connected, energy efficient and secure entertainment experience.
- As a leader in field proven, high performance cable modem and STB technologies, Broadcom demonstrates industry-leading functionality in its connected home pavilion during this week's ANGA Cable 2010 show featuring the following solutions:
- The BCM7420 VMS gateway and the BCM7408 client SoC solutions feature DLNA®-supported MoCA networking and enable manufacturers to leverage Broadcom's extensive connected home software suite and low cost design, while providing leading whole-home connected entertainment services, such as multi-room HD digital video recording.
- The BCM3380 DOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS 3.0 cable modem SoC solution features support for 16 downstream channels to address the need for increased bandwidth and speed. It also integrates a wideband tuner, a DOCSIS 2.0/3.0 media access controller (MAC) and a 300 MHz CPU with digital signal processing commands and analog voice interface.
- Broadcom's whole-home connected STB and cable modem solutions support DOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS 2.0/3.0 eMTAs, Wi-Fi® gateways, and cable STB platforms with the following key functionality:
- Whole-home connectivity:
- Integrates MoCA 1.1 to enable the distribution of high quality digital multimedia content throughout the home over existing coaxial cable and allows subscribers to securely access, store and share a wide array of digital media content including HD programs, video-on-demand, HD digital video recordings, Internet content, video, music, photos and voice over IP.
- Includes MoCA MidRF support, from 500 to 1500 MHz, to enable operation on lower frequency plants and more networks in multiple dwelling units (MDUs).
- Features comprehensive software support for compelling subscriber applications from NDS, TiVo®, QT Framework, Microsoft Silverlight, RVU Alliance's remote user interface (RUI) technology, CEA-2014 RUI client, Webkit based HMTLv5, Adobe® Flash® Platform for the Digital Home and PacketCable™ VoIP software modules. This unique, modular and flexible software platform enables appealing interactive digital television, networked DVR functionality and IP video applications.
- Integrates Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) technology support that enables consumers to locate and enjoy digital content anywhere on their home network and effortlessly move or stream this content between DLNA-connected devices.
- Integrates Broadcom's Accelerange™ 802.11n robust wireless video distribution technology, Bluetooth® wireless 2-way remote and audio streaming technologies.
- Energy efficiency:
- Integrates dynamic and very efficient power management controllers capable of managing and shutting down unused SoC functions in real-time.
- Security support:
- Integrates advanced security STB SoCs qualified for the latest versions of NDS VideoGuard, Nagra, Conax, Microsoft, and Irdeto.
- Integrates DTCP-IP LAN security to protect content distribution within the home and a very high performance secure transport processor that supports real-time conditional access termination and DTCP-IP re-encryption.
- Whole-home connectivity:
Dan Marotta , Executive Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom's Broadband Communications Group
“Addressing European requirements for whole-home connectivity, energy efficiency and security, we've developed high performance and advanced cable platforms to accelerate the deployment of whole-home connected entertainment environments.”
Subscribe to RSS Feed: Broadband Communications Group http://bit.ly/4BDSLs
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom, one of the world's largest fabless communications semiconductor companies, with 2009 revenue of $4.49 billion , holds more than 4,050 U.S. and 1,650 foreign patents, and has more than 7,900 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. , and has offices and research facilities in North America , Asia and Europe . Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as “anticipates,” “expects,” “intends,” “plans,” “predicts,” “believes,” “seeks,” “estimates,” “may,” “will,” “should,” “would,” “could,” “potential,” “continue,” “ongoing,” similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, references to deployment of whole-home connected entertainment environments in Europe . These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with Broadcom connected home cable SoC solutions include, but are not limited to:
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom's technologies and products in the markets for next generation set-top box applications;
- delays in the adoption and acceptance of industry standards in those markets;
- general economic and political conditions and specific conditions in the markets we address, including the volatility in the technology sector and semiconductor industry, trends in the broadband communications markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated;
- the timing of customer-industry qualification and certification of our products and the risks of non-qualification or non-certification; and
- the timing, rescheduling or cancellation of significant customer orders and our ability, as well as the ability of our customers, to manage inventory.
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q12010.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom , the pulse logo, Connecting everything , the Connecting everything logo and Accelerange™ are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States , certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband