How could I have missed this! A geek like me who took advanced mathematics classes as my electives in my graduate study in engineering electronics?
August 15, 2017 was Pythagorean Theorem Day. Why?:
Because 8/15/17 is 82 + 152 =172 OR 152 + 82 = 172
This is so mathematically unique because it does not occur all that often (unlike Pi Day which is every year).
We probably all know that Pythagoras, a Greek philosopher and mathematician was born around 569 BC and died around 475 BC. Pythagoras figured out a theorem which we celebrate today; c2 = a2 + b2
To see the uniqueness of this day, note that the next Pythagorean Theorem Day will be on December 16, 2020 (12/16/20 or 16/12/20): 122 + 162 = 202
The one following that will occur on July 24, 2025 (7/24/25 or 24/7/25): 72 + 242 = 252
Stay tuned for my EDN article coming shortly in which I will discuss the following:
- How to Prove the Pythagorean Theorem in Antenna Analysis
- The Dual Pythgorean Theorem and Bad Data Detection
- From the Pythagorean Theorem to the definition of the derivative function
- Educational Game Design on Pythagorean Theorem For Game Based Learning Using 6i’s Component
- Reduction of Energy Consumption In WSN using the Generalized Pythagorean Theorem
Well, I'm going to have some Pi for desert