Linear Technology announces the LT3956, an 80V high-side current sense DC/DC converter designed to operate as a constant-current and constant-voltage regulator. The device aims at applications driving high current LEDs as well as charging batteries and supercaps.
Its 4.5V to 80V input voltage range makes it ideal for a wide variety of applications, including automotive, industrial and architectural lighting.
The LT3956 uses an internal N-channel MOSFET and can drive up to eighteen 350mA white LEDs from a nominal 12V input, delivering in excess of 25 Watts. It incorporates a high-side current sense, enabling use in boost, buck, buck-boost or SEPIC and flyback topologies. The LT3956 delivers efficiencies of over 94% in boost mode, eliminating the need for external heat sinking. A frequency adjust pin permits the user to program the frequency between 100kHz and 1MHz, optimizing efficiency while minimizing external component size and cost. Combined with a 5mm x 6mm QFN package, the LT3956 offers a highly compact 25 Watt LED driver solution.
The LT3956 uses True Color PWM dimming, delivering constant LED color with dimming ranges up to 3,000:1. For less demanding dimming requirements, the CTRL pin provides a 10:1 analog dimming range. The LT3956's fixed frequency, current mode architecture ensures stable operation over a wide range of supply and output voltages. A ground referenced voltage FB pin serves as the input for several LED protection features, enabling the converter to operate as a constant-voltage source.
– 3000:1 True Color PWM Dimming
– Wide Input Voltage Range: 4.5V to 80V
– Output Voltage Up to 80V
– Internal 3.3A/84V Switch
– Constant-Current & Constant-Voltage Regulation
– 250mV High Side Current Sense
– Drives LEDs in Boost, Buck Mode, Buck-Boost Mode, SEPIC or Flyback Topology
– Adjustable Frequency: 100kHz to 1MHz
– Open LED Protection
– Programmable Undervoltage Lockout with Hysteresis
– Constant-Voltage Loop Status Pin
– PWM Disconnect Switch Driver
– CTRL Pin Adjusts High Side Current Sense Threshold
– Low Shutdown Current: <1μA
– Programmable Soft-Start
– Available in the 36-Lead (5mm 6mm) QFN Package
The LT3956EUHE is available in a 36-pin 5mm x 6mm QFN package, priced starting at $3.50 each in 1,000-piece quantities. An extended temperature I-grade version, the LT3956IUHE, is priced at $4.12 each, in 1,000-piece quantities. Both versions are available from stock.
For more information, click here.
Courtesy of Automotive DesignLine Europe.