Sierra Wireless has enhanced its family of AirLink MP rugged in-vehicle modems to include 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi hotspot capability and full routing capabilities that simplify installation and communication between the modems and peripheral equipment.
The new MP 595W, MP 880W and MP 881W modems will also allow customers to access their mobile broadband coverage while outside the vehicle.
The MP 880W and MP 881W are the first modems in the Sierra Wireless AirLink product line to support HSUPA networks, offering significantly improved uplink speeds. The MP 595W supports EV-DO Revision A networks.
The faster uplink data speeds provided by HSUPA and EV-DO Revision A technology improve the user experience for those who need to send large files such as photos or video over their wireless connection, enabling applications such as video monitoring to improve the personal security of the vehicle operator.
MP products are built to withstand the rugged environments of the public safety, transportation, and field service industries. To ensure reliable performance in a variety of conditions, MP rugged modems:
- Meet U.S. Military 810-F and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1455 specifications for vibration, shock, drop, rain, splash, sand, dust, humidity, and salt fog;
- Operate in extreme temperatures (-30 C to +70 C);
- Support various options for interfacing with infrastructure equipment, including serial, USB, Ethernet, and 802.11 b/g host connections, offering customers a variety of installation and configuration choices, as well as compatibility with legacy systems;
- Are equipped with enhanced Wi-Fi security options, such as WEP, WPA and WPA2;
- Offer NAT capability along with routing functions for setting up static routes and port forwarding giving users flexibility in directing traffic to specific clients;
- Include an integrated high-precision, standalone 12-channel GPS (global positioning system) receiver for vehicle tracking;
- Offer both analog and digital input/output ports, allowing vehicles to be comprehensively instrumented to provide dispatchers additional actionable information such as speed and airbag status, thereby providing additional security for employees and company assets.
Each of the MP modems includes MP Modem Manager, a feature-rich web-based diagnostic software management tool that enables remote monitoring and configuration of an entire fleet of MP modems. With MP Modem Manager, an administrator can control settings, diagnose and troubleshoot field issues, and upgrade firmware from a central location without taking units out of the field, avoiding costly downtime.
More information is available at www.sierrawireless.com/product/mobile.aspx.