Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) has introduced the industry’s smallest 1.1-A Li-Ion linear battery charger with integrated 50-mA low-dropout regulator to support mobile phones and other handheld electronics. The new bq25040 comes in a small 2 mm x 3 mm package, and can regulate voltage within one-percent accuracy from a USB port or AC adapter. The device’s integrated LDO allows a mobile application to power up instantly from an external power source, even with an empty or absent battery. For details and samples see: www.ti.com/bq25040-pr.
The bq25040 also saves manufacturing time and cost by eliminating the need for battery setup during production test phase. The charger’s single-input interface selects the appropriate charge current and places the device into production test mode.
Key features and benefits
• 30-V input with overvoltage protection enables safe charging with unregulated or aftermarket adapters
• Up to 1.1-A charge rate
• Integrated 50-mA LDO supplies power to external circuits, such as a USB transceiver
• Production test mode regulates 4.2-V output without battery connection, and supplies up to 2.3 A
• Selectable 100-mA or 500-mA USB current limit complies with USB standards
• Input voltage dynamic power management provides protection against poor USB sources
Availability and pricing
The bq25040 is available now in a 10-pin, QFN package and is priced at $1.20 in quantities of 1,000. Other USB chargers include the bq24150 ultra-small switch-mode charger with integrated FETs, and the bq24072 with dynamic power path management. Samples and evaluation modules of the bq25040 are available today at http://power.ti.com.
Find out more about TI’s battery charge management portfolio:
• Battery charger selection tool: www.ti.com/batterycharger-pr
• Join the discussion about battery design at TI’s Battery Forum: www.ti.com/batteryforum-pr
• Follow TI on Twitter: www.twitter.com/txinstruments
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 25 countries.
For more information, go to www.ti.com
European Customer Support Center (ECSC)
Phone of UK support service:
Note: The above text is the public part of the press release obtained from the manufacturer (with minor modifications). EETimes Europe cannot be held responsible for the claims and statements made by the manufacturer. The text is intended as a supplement to the new product presentations in EETimes Europe magazine.