DALLAS , Jan. 11 /PRNewswire/ — Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) today introduced the industry's first family of standard-footprint power MOSFETs that dissipate heat through the top of the package for high-current DC/DC applications. DualCool™ NexFET™ power MOSFETs reduce end equipment size, while providing up to 50 percent more current through the MOSFET and improving thermal management over other standard-footprint packages. See: www.ti.com/dualcool-pr.
This new family of five NexFET devices allows computing and telecom system designers to use higher current processors with expanded memory while saving board space. These MOSFETs in an advanced package can be used in a wide range of end applications including desktop personal computers, servers, telecommunications or networking equipment, basestations, and high current industrial systems.
“Our customers demand higher current DC/DC power supplies in a smaller footprint to meet the need for increased processing power in the broad infrastructure market,” said Steve Anderson , TI's senior vice president and worldwide manager, Power Management. “DualCool NexFET power MOSFETs meet this need by conducting more current in the same form factor.”
Key features and benefits of DualCool NexFET power MOSFETs:
- Single phase 35-A synchronous buck converter MOSFETs, using single MOSFETs for both the high and low side switches in high-current DC/DC applications.
- Enhanced packaging technology reduces thermal impedance to top of package from 10 degrees to 15 degrees C per watt to 1.2 degrees C per watt, increasing power dissipation capability by up to 80 percent.
- Efficient dual-side heat sinking enables up to 50 percent more current through the FET, giving designers the flexibility to use higher current processors without increasing end equipment size.
- Industry-standard SON package with a 5-mm x 6-mm footprint eases design and keeps cost down, saving 30 mm2 compared to using two standard packages.
Availability and pricing
DualCool NexFET devices are available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors. Suggested resale pricing for the CSD16325Q5C is $1.47 in 1,000-unit quantities. Samples and application notes are available.
Find out more about TI NexFET MOSFETs and other power offerings by visiting the links below:
- Order NexFET evaluation modules and samples: www.ti.com/mosfet-dcpr
- See DC-DC Controllers that are optimized for NexFET technology: www.ti.com/tps40303-pr, www.ti.com/tps40304-pr, www.ti.com/tps40305-pr.
- TI's complete power management portfolio: www.ti.com/power-dcpr
About TI's NexFET power MOSFET technology
In February 2009 , TI acquired Bethlehem, Pennsylvania -based CICLON Semiconductor Device Corporation for its innovative, high-efficiency power management solutions. Adding the NexFET power MOSFETs to TI's existing power management portfolio enabled TI to provide customers with complete solutions for high efficiency power supply designs. DualCool™ NexFET power MOSFETs mark the first new power MOSFET offering from TI since the acquisition.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
All trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated