DALLAS , April 12 /PRNewswire/ — Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced the industry's smallest and highest performance buck-boost converter with a 4-A switch and up to 96 percent efficiency. The TPS63020 power management integrated circuit (IC) helps extend battery life in smartphones, portable medical equipment, DLP® pico projectors and other battery-powered multimedia devices. See: www.ti.com/tps63020-pr.
The buck-boost device operates with a wide input voltage range of 1.8 V to 5.5 V and can discharge lithium batteries down to 2.5 V or lower, while maintaining excellent light load efficiency. The single-inductor, 2.4-MHz TPS63020 converter comes in a 3-mm x 4-mm x 1-mm package, and can achieve a complete DC/DC converter solution of 100 mm2, more than 60 percent smaller than the competition.
“Designers of handheld electronics continue to try to get more out of their batteries, especially now as they add wireless connectivity with higher data rates and more features to their handheld electronics,” said Steve Anderson , senior vice president of TI's power management business unit. “Higher current buck-boost converters, such as the TPS63020, help manage the power in the most efficient, most effective way possible, in the smallest amount of board space.”
Key features and benefits of TPS63020:
- High output current capability allows a battery-powered device to generate the most current with the greatest amount of efficiency; for example, 3 A at 3.3 V in step-down mode and more than 2.0 A at 3.3 V in boost mode at typical conditions.
- Dynamic input current limit effectively protects the circuit and system.
- Power Save Mode maintains high efficiency at light load.
- Supports one-cell lithium-based or 2- or 3-cell Alkaline, NiCd or NiMH batteries.
Complete DC/DC and battery management portfolio
TI provides the industry's most comprehensive line of buck-boost and step-down DC/DC converters to support any portable power requirement. In 2006 TI introduced its TPS630xx buck-boost converter family. In addition to DC/DC converters, TI offers linear and switch-mode battery chargers for portable electronics, including the new bq24156 switch-mode battery charger for single-cell lithium batteries.
Availability and pricing
The TPS63020 converter and a 3.3-V fixed output voltage version, the TPS63021, are available in volume now from TI with a suggested resale price of $2.50 in 1,000-unit quantities. Samples, evaluation modules and application notes are available.
Find out more about DC/DC buck-boost converters by visiting the links below:
- Order TPS63020 evaluation modules and samples: www.ti.com/tps63020-pr
- DC/DC products: www.ti.com/dcdc-pr
- bq24156 switch-mode battery charger: www.ti.com/bq24156-pr
- TI's complete power management portfolio: www.ti.com/power-pr
- Updated Q2 2010 LED Reference Design Cookbook: www.ti.com/led-pr
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
All trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated