DALLAS, July 18, 2012
DALLAS , July 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a new line of analog front ends (AFEs) for power monitoring and control of smart e-meters. The new ADS131E08 family is available with 8, 6 or 4 channels and in 16- or 24-bit resolution. The devices offer high integration and performance, along with the industry's lowest power consumption per channel and widest upgrade/downgrade path. For more information, visit www.ti.com/ads131e08-pr.
When combined with the AMC1100 isolation amplifier, quad-channel ISO7241C digital isolator and 32-bit C2000™ TMS320F2812 high-performance microcontroller (MCU), the new ADS131E08 family provides a three-phase class 1.0 and 0.5 smart e-metering solution that minimizes power consumption while providing high linearity for accurate power measurement. The solution also delivers the high-voltage isolation required to meet industry standards for power and communications in high-end industrial meters and Smart Grid infrastructure. A free sample kit of the smart metering solution is available today.
Key features and benefits of the ADS131E08 e-metering AFE family:
- Highest all-around precision performance enabled by the best combination of AC/DC specifications: best-in-class signal-to-noise ratio of 107 dB, ENOB of up to 20.4 bits, input signal range of +/-2.4 V and common mode rejection ratio of -110 dB. This high level of performance allows the AFEs to exceed 0.1 e-metering performance with less than 0.1 percent error for 1 to 1,000 dynamic range.
- Lowest power consumption available at 2 mW per channel with an operating temperature range of -40 to 105 C.
- Widest upgrade/downgrade path , with options ranging from 4 to 8 channels and 16 to 24 bits of resolution, to support a variety of smart e-metering applications, from two-phase systems to three-phase with tamper detection.
- Lowest price per channel by 40 percent at $0.74 .
- Reduces board space and overall solution size by integrating a delta-sigma analog-to-digital converter (ADC), FET-input programmable gain amplifier (PGA) with multi-gain options, operational amplifier (op amp), internal reference, fault detection and alarm comparators.
Availability, packaging and pricing
All devices in the ADS131E08 family are available today in a 9-mm x 9-mm TQFP package. Suggested retail pricing for 1,000-unit quantities is as follows:
- 8-channel, 24-bit ADS131E08: US$5.95
- 6-channel, 24-bit ADS131E06: US$4.95
- 4-channel, 24-bit ADS131E04: US$3.95
- 8-channel, 16-bit ADS130E08: US$3.95
Learn more about TI's Smart Grid portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order the smart metering sample kit: www.ti.com/smartmetersolution-pr.
- Order samples of the ADS131E08: www.ti.com/ads131e08s-pr.
- See all TI solutions for the Smart Grid market: www.ti.com/smartgrid-pr.
- Ask questions and get answers from TI experts in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/e2e-pr and the Smart Grid E2E Group: www.ti.com/smartgridblog.
- Download a news release graphic at: www.ti.com/newscenterphotos-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated