DALLAS , March 10 /PRNewswire/ — Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced three new switch-mode standalone battery charger ICs for lithium-based battery-powered applications with a 5-V to 28-V input.These devicesprovide highly accurate and efficient charging in a small package for mass market applications, such as industrial handhelds, mobile Internet devices (MIDs), netbooks, power tools and portable medical devices. For product details, see: www.ti.com/bq24600-pr, www.ti.com/bq24610-pr, and www.ti.com/bq24617-pr.
These devices offer a constant-frequency synchronous switching pulse-width modulation (PWM) controller with highly accurate charge current and voltage regulation, charge preconditioning, termination, adapter current regulation and charge status monitoring. The battery is charged in three phases: preconditioning, constant current and constant voltage. A programmable charge timer provides a safety backup.
Key features and benefits
- Higher efficiency results in less heat dissipation than other solutions.
- Greater than 99 percent charge voltage and current accuracy optimize battery life cycle.
- Integrated, standalone solution enhances design flexibility and reduces overall solution size.
- Dynamic power management maximizes use of adapter power to power the system while charging the battery.
Availability and pricing
The bq24610 and bq24617 are available now in a 24-pin 4×4 mm2 QFN package. The bq24600 is available in a 16-pin 3.5 x 3.5 mm2 QFN package. The bq24610 is priced at $2.60 and the bq24600 and bq24617 are priced at $2.90 , in quantities of 1,000.
New battery charger selection tool helps speed selection process
TI provides a broad range of battery charger ICs that support single-cell and multi-cell battery packs used in handheld, portable medical and portable industrial equipment. Designers can select recommended products using TI's new Battery charger selector tool, where one can choose criteria based on battery chemistry, number of cells, topology needed and battery voltage levels.
Find out more about TI's battery controllers and chargers by visiting the links below:
- For the complete battery charger portfolio visit: www.ti.com/batterycharger-pr.
- Select recommended products using TI's battery charger selection tool: www.ti.com/batterychargertool-pr.
- Download TI's battery charger catalog: www.ti.com/batterychargecatalog-pr.
- See TI's complete power management portfolio: www.ti.com/power-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com
All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated