DALLAS , Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ — At the 2010 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) (East Tower, Suite 464), Texas Instruments (TI) (NYSE: TXN) will demonstrate its new PurePath™ Wireless audio technology, delivering the industry's highest performance CD-quality wireless audio solution. The CC85xx family takes advantage of TI's design expertise in both audio and low-power RF products to provide a 2.4-GHz system-on-chip that transmits uncompressed audio over a state-of-the-art RF link with no unwanted noise or dropouts. These single-chip, integrated devices will lower total system cost in consumer, portable and professional audio applications, such as wireless headphones and wireless speakers.
Key features and benefits
- High quality-of-service for digital wireless audio transmission
- Lower latency than WLAN-based solutions for better synchronization between audio and video.
- No unwanted noise (clicks or pops) and low MTBD (mean time between dropout) compared to existing solutions.
- None of the sound distortion typically found in competing proprietary systems using compression techniques.
- Supports 16-bit, 44.1-KHz or 48-KHz audio without any compression.
- Excellent coexistence with Bluetooth ®, WLAN and other 2.4-GHz devices.
- Fast time-to-market and flexible, cost-effective solution
- Single-chip IC with built-in RF protocol and audio codec setup. No software development required.
- No microcontroller required. CC85xx can configure external audio codecs and control human interface.
- Application reference designs and easy-to-use designer's tool.
- Compatible with wide variety of TI audio codecs (TLV320AIC3101), digital-to-analog converters (PCM1774), analog-to-digital converters (PCM1870A) and digital audio amplifiers (TPA6140A2, TAS5708) using I2S and I2C interface support.
CC85xx family availability
The two-channel CC8520 will be sampling and in volume production in March 2010 . Future devices in the family will include the CC8521 (two channels with USB), CC8530 (three channels) and CC8531 (three channels with USB).
The devices will be packaged in a ROHS-compliant 6 mm x 6 mm QFN-40. TI will support these devices with comprehensive demonstration kits, reference designs and tools that provide all the hardware and software necessary to evaluate the CC85xx devices:
- PC-based PurePath™ Wireless configuration tool.
- CC8520DK audio development kit.
- CC8520DK-HEADSET wireless headset reference design.
Learn more about TI's low-power RF and audio portfolios at the links below:
- TI's low-power RF portfolio and selection guide: www.ti.com/lprf-pr
- TI's low-power RF E2E online community: www.ti.com/lprf-forum.
- TI's audio portfolio and solutions guide: www.ti.com/audio.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com
PurePath is a trademark of Texas Instruments. Bluetooth is a registered trademark of the Bluetooth SIG, Inc. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments